Wednesday 9 April 2008

Howden Marsh & Eastrington Recce

Willow Warbler
Starling
Record shot of Blackcap
Cowslips
Willow Warbler
Having a stretch
ditto Chaffinch

A visit to Howden Marsh to check on it before the planned visits in May. I was also taken on a long walk around the area by Carol. We identified over 30 species including 5 Snipe, 2 Treecreepers, 2 Curlew, Lapwings and some over-excited Yellowhammers. I saw my first Cowslips of the year, but on close examination they must have been flowering for some time. At Howden Marsh itself we saw a Blackcap and heard several Chiffchaffs, and a Marsh Tit. Popped in at Eastrington Ponds on the way back. I saw my first really good views of a Willow Warbler in 2008, and the Green Woodpecker was laughing, but it wasn't visible. There were several Blackcaps which showed well, but gave only brief views. The Great-Crested Grebe was on a nest, but there was no sign yet of Common Terns or any hirundines.

No comments: