Monday 3 August 2020

Operation Brown Hairstreak

This year the very rare Brown Hairstreaks males have emerged slightly earlier than normal.  On Friday I had the chance to try and find them in extremely warm weather.  Since I returned I've heard that the females have also emerged earlier than normal.  When I arrived there I discovered that there were a few Hairstreaks fluttering on the ground, but I arrived too early.  An hour later some former members of the class had seen as many as 10 individuals on the ground all in the same area.  On closer inspection these turned out to be Purple Hairstreaks.
Male Brown Hairstreak
 Purple Hairstreak - looking for salt?
 ditto
 Purple Hairstreak - no purple from this angle
 ditto
 ditto
 Purple Hairstreak 
 Caterpillar
 Young Lizard
 Brimstone
 First Glimpse of a Brown Hairstreak
 alongside a Peacock - size comparison
 Record shot of a Brown Hairstreak in flight
 ditto
 ditto
Female Brown Hairstreak from last year  - one hairstreak missing
 Underside of egg-laying female

No comments: