Monday 16 September 2019

Pectoral Sandpiper at Blacktoft Sands

This bird flew into Marshland at RSPB Blacktoft Sands this morning being chased by a Lapwing of all things.  The lack of apparent obvious wing-bars was immediately noticeable.  Eventually, it shook the Lapwing off and landed on the far side on the mud away from the other birds.  The white 'braces' on the back seemed quite striking. I identified it as a Pectoral Sandpiper.   After returning from Ousefleet hide I asked if anyone had reported it.  When the report was negative, I sought out Mike Pilsworth, and had to interrupt him firing an area of reeds.  He checked a few photos and confirmed the identification.  The news was put out, but I heard that later a low-flying military-looking helicopter spooked most of the birds off marshland, so I'm not sure anyone else saw it.  This immature bird has probably been blown all the way over the Atlantic because of the two recent storms, and now it has to contend with irresponsibly-flown aircraft!   Don't forget my new Autumn term begins tomorrow.  
Pectoral Sandpiper
 ditto
 ditto
 ditto 
 ditto

No comments: