Tuesday 18 May 2021

Latest Projects & Some Photos From Home

Last weekend I returned to my lay-by and my puddle to see if I could get better photos of the birds from last week.  There were Linnets, a Meadow Pipit and the Yellow Wagtails were still present.  However, there was a Flava Wagtail with a bluish head.  I assumed it was a continental Blue-headed Wagtail.  However, on closer inspection its colouration is pale grey rather than blue.  This means it is a ‘Channel’ Wagtail, which isn’t in any of my bird books.  This means it’s parents were an ordinary English Yellow Wagtail and a Blue-headed Wagtail.
'Channel' Wagtail
ditto
ditto
ditto
ditto
ditto
ditto
ditto
ditto
ditto
ditto
Back at the lay-by next to the Oilseed Rape field some male Reed Buntings showed well.  
Reed Bunting
ditto
ditto
ditto
ditto
Female Yellow Wagtail
I went back to my puddle on Sunday, and sure enough the male ‘Channel’ Wagtail was still present.  Unfortunately, the light was no better than Saturday, and the weather remained firmly overcast.  I experimented taking the ‘Channel’ Wagtail against a variety of backgrounds.  All of these photos were taken from the car, which I used as a hide.
'Channel' Wagtail
ditto
ditto
ditto
Back at the lay-by I tried taking better photos of the Reed Bunting.
Reed Bunting
Ditto
Ditto 
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Sitting quietly in the passing place, eventually a pair of Skylarks flew in and at times came very close to my car.
Skylark 
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Meadow Pipit
Ditto
Buzzard
Buzzard
I was driving past a reedbed when I spotted a male Marsh Harrier flying around.  This is the first time I’ve been able to photograph a Marsh Harrier from a vehicle on a road in a reedbed, rather than a field.
Marsh Harrier
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto 
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Yesterday I drove to Welton Water, which was my first visit of 2021.  The birds were quieter than normal with fewer Yellowhammers and no Yellow Wagtail.  The only bright spot was a Cetti’s Warbler, which flew across the path and landed in the darkest part of a Hawthorn Bush.  It sang in an upright position and then relaxed into its more usual horizontal posture.
Cetti’s Warbler 
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
After Welton Water I drove to Ness End.  The highlight was a pair of Hobbies, which hunted for insects over the reedbed in front of Main Hide.
Hobby
Hobby
Hobby
Hobby
Hobby
Lady’s Smock
From Ness End I had a look at Killingholme Gravel Pits.  I hadn’t been at this time of year before, but it was quite disappointing.  There was just one Oystercatcher, a single Avocet, a Black-tailed Godwit and a male Pied Wagtail.  
Oystercatcher
Pied Wagtail 
The previous Monday I went up to Thixendale.  I saw a Hare and so crouched behind a tussock of grass.  I was amazed when it came closer and closer, and almost came too close!
Hare
Hare
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
At either side of the road a male Redstart was singing.  Less than a mile along the Wolds Way near a stile two males were also singing in competition with each other.  
Redstart 
Ditto 
Ditto 
This male hadn't completed his moult
Bluebells at Lund/Bracken








On the return journey I drove past Kiplingcotes where I spotted a Red Kite being mobbed by Rooks.  I then headed for North Cliffe for a final look at the Bluebells.    The dry sandy soil was blowing across the road.  
Red Kite
Red Kite and Rook
'Sandstorm'
North Cliffe Bluebells
Soilstorm 
Last week one evening not long before dark a female Sparrowhawk flew in to the garden and started to drink from the font.  After several minutes she assumed a strange posture called ‘mantling’.  She puffed up  her feathers drooped her wings and fanned her tail.  She looked up into the Yew tree, and it was possible to discern the reason for this odd behaviour.
Sparrowhawk “mantling” over water
Female Sparrowhawk 
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
The reason for the “mantling”
During the winter we’ve had a pair of Buzzards in the cemetery, and on one particular morning three were seen.  Over several weeks it was possible to snatch a few photos of these always wary individuals.  The female in particular is very white on her underparts.  
Buzzard 
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto 
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
While attempting to photograph the Buzzard, I was quite surprised to see a couple of Redwings still present in the cemetery in Late April.
Redwing -still present late April
Ditto
There may be as many as three pairs of Mistle Thrushes in the cemetery, which seem to be doing much better than their cousins, the Song Thrushes.
Mistle Thrush
Ditto
Pair of Mistle Thrushes
Mistle Thrush
Magpie
Ditto
Mistle Thrush at the garden pond
Robin
Stock Dove
Herring Gull
Blackbird
Female Blackbird
Carrion Crow
Ditto
Ditto
Rabbit
Pest


No comments: