Monday 23 March 2020

Birding from a Vehicle

At the time of writing it (Monday, 6pm GMT) it is still possible to watch wildlife from a car, and because of the stress of the final week of classes under straightened circumdtsnces, I needed to get out.  I set off at 9.30am and drove all the way beyond Pickering.  I arrived at a bleak and drab moorland which was still smouldering in places.  I presume these were managed areas of burning to encourage the new growth of heather for the game birds.  It still seemed as though this shouldn't have been happening this late in the year, as there were Meadow Pipits and Stonechats back on territory.   
Male Red Grouse
I parked the car by a small pull-in shortly after arriving on the moorland, and was surprised to see a male Red Grouse very close to the car.  I don't remember ever having a really good view of one of these before.  He was resplendent in his gleaming red wattles.  Then he launched himself into the air making his rather excited call, before lapsing into his final cries which sound like "go back..go back...go back." 
ditto
 An Out-of-focus Red Grouse in flight
 I love the feathered-white legs 
 The white markings around the rear break up the monotony of the red-brown plumage
 Standing to attention
I drove round the area and saw many more Red Grouse, a pair of Lapwings and a Curlew.  A few cyclists were tackling the steep inclines, and a few vehicles passed at times, but this must have been one of the best places to watch birds in almost complete isolation.  At no time did I come anywhere near any third party.  I didn't have to leave the car and was hermetically sealed off from the outside world, so this illustrated it is possible to enjoy the countryside, recharge the batteries whilst safely self-isolating.  I hope anyone who wants to continue to enjoy the natural wonders is able to do so for as long as possible.  I wasn't able to photograph any other species, as nothing was as close as the Red Grouse, and I was determined not to leave the car.
Looking good amongst its habitat
A previous post about using a car as a hide is available herehttps://eybirdwatching.blogspot.com/2012/04/using-car-as-hide-in-spring.html

1 comment:

PJ said...

I do hope the Govt. can nuance it’s stay at home instruction. “If you go out in your car, stay in it” would suffice