Monday 25 March 2019

Signs of Spring


Today I checked out the first Wednesday venue after Easter to see if I could work out a suitable circular route that would take approximately two hours.  Unfortunately, I didn't locate it.  Not that many birds had returned yet, but there was a nice encounter with a confiding Yellowhammer and a Reed Bunting. 
Yellowhammer
 Reed Bunting
 Peacock
Orange Underwing
On the way back I stopped off at RSPB Blacktoft Sands, as I'd heard about 3 Garganey that were present.  They were visible from Ousefleet hide.  There had been quite a bit of flooding, so Marshland Hide and Xerox could only be reached in wellies.  
Garganey [2 drakes, left & right and a female in the centre]
 Drake Garganey
 Garganey
 Ditto
Quite a few waders were also present including Black-tailed Godwits [only 2 had some colour], a few Ruff of various sizes, a pair of Oystercatchers and some Lapwings.  I also spotted a Knot, which may be the only one I've seen at that location.  
Black-tailed Godwit
 ditto
 Black-tailed Godwits
 Ruff [and Reeve, right]
 Size Comparison between Ruff [front] and Black-tailed Godwit
 Knot
 Shelduck
 Wigeon
 Teal
 Marsh Harrier
Avocets were only present at Marshland hide after walking through water higher than ankle-deep.
Avocets

No comments: