Friday 2 June 2017

Last Night's Moths

Last night was the first night this week I was able to use the moth trap. It was the best haul so far with about 15 species caught. It took half an hour to carefully remove the moths from the trap and try to photograph them on something more attractive than egg boxes before they flew away.  Then I spent an hour with my big moth book trying to identify the vast majority of my captives.  There were quite a few I haven't been able to identify with any certainty.
[All IDs corrected by Barry Warrington]
Plain Golden Y
 Angle Shades
 Poplar Hawk Moth
Straw Dot
Setaceous Hebrew Character
 Garden Carpet
 Heart and Dart
 Heart and Dart
 Rustic Shoulder-Knot
 Small-Square-Spot?
 Ditto?
Rustic Shoulder-Knot
 Light Brown Apple moth
 Common Marbled Carpet
 Clouded Silver
 Unidentified Species
 Birch Shield Bug
 Hawthorn Shield Bug

No comments: